Scooter theft makes up 75% of all motorcycle theft (source UK Home Office 2005). We've pulled together some of the best security tips from riders in the Grip-Lock office, scooter forums, customer tips and security reviews. Our mission is help you hold on to your bike. Here's a few ways (on top of having two Grip-Locks for your bike) that will help. Send us
your best local tips and we'll spread the love and include them here.
YOU LOVE YOUR BIKE. PROTECT IT.
- Statistically most motorcycle theft (90%+) is opportunistic and the thieves are unsophisticated in criminal terms.
- Anecdotal reports tell us that the motorcycle most likely to be stolen is the one most easily ridden away.
- Motorcycle theft rates have increased 135% in the past 5 years (US National Insurance Crime Bureau www.nicb.org.us)
- Lower powered motorcycles (including mopeds and scooters) are at MUCH greater risk of theft than larger bikes. If you own a scooter, there is almost a 10% chance of theft. This is seen as a reflection of the growing popularity of scooters and mopeds as commuter bikes.
- Lower powered motorcycles less than 5 years old are at most risk of theft of all motorcyles. They suffer a theft rate of 85 per 1000 registered and constitute 60% of all thefts although only making up 26% of bikes registered.
- Theft rates for motorcycles are MUCH HIGHER than those for cars. In 2003 the theft rate for motorcycles was 37 per 1000 registered on the road, compared with 10 per 1000 registered on the road for cars. (statistics 2005 Bike Theft Index UK Home Office visit www.secureyourmotor.gov.uk for more)
- Motorcycle theft appears seasonal with a marked increase in theft during the summer months.